Monday, February 21, 2011

Countdown to the Oscars Part 1: The Social Network

 Running Time: 120 min.

Okay The Social Network. If you haven't heard about this movie or of Facebook you probably haven't used a computer since 2006. The movie follows Mark Zuckerburg's (Jesse Eisenburg) rise to fame and how he clawed to the top as the youngest billionare in the world. Now I usually am someone who doesn't pick apart movies, but there was just something off about this movie. I thought it was an intresting story, but my main problem is Mark Zuckerburg himself. It's just that Zuckerburg is portrayed as this Gordon Gekko-esque character, but I feel like he's just a complete jerk. In my opinion, the guys who stole the show were Andrew Garfield (who portrayed Eduardo Saverin) and Justin Timberlake (who portrayed napster founder Sean Parker). Garfield makes me feel so sympathetic for him. In my opinion this felt like it should have been the story of Eduardo Saverin. Also Justin Timberlake shines in this movie and I would love to see him in more movies as long as he gives amazing performances like this. My other big problem is that there are multiple stories, which is fine, but they feel so spread apart and out of place. I do indeed enjoy Aaron Sorkin's work (THE GUY MADE THE WEST WING!!!), but this whole movie just seems a little off. So I have to say that this is probably one of the weakest nominees. If you still want to see this movie, I recommend just renting something like Wall Street. Tune in tomorrow when I review The King's Speech for Part 2 of the countdown to the Oscars.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment